Thursday, July 31, 2008

PhillyZoo

I love to experience new things with Alayna. She is the coolest, and always delivers the wow factor in word and deed when seeing something for the first time. PoppaWheel and I took off work because we wanted to be chaperons for Alayna's first daycare field trip. We thought it was important to show that we cared enough to experience such an important "first" with our daughter.

There were so many fun moments:


Alayna and her daycare boyfriend. Heretofore known as DCBF, Miles....accepting all dowry.


Alayna and her DCBF looking at the monkey cage


Alayna brushing the sheep in the children's petting zoo

Alayna and the ducks. Dare I say that was probably one of her first words. It was nice to see her face to face with her first love lol. They ran away when I snapped the pic, but you get the point...she was chasing them :)




Alayna and the hat she refused to wear in the 90+ degree heat.




I am not a super organized person, but this was a very special trip for us. I planned to avoid the $20 cheeseburgers and bring our lunches, so I made a nice spinach and chicken salad with some mushroom orzo and fresh fruit. I was really proud of me because it tasted REALLY good. Here's the recipe for the orzo:

1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 12-inch frying pan over high heat. Add 12 ounces sliced mushrooms and 3/4 cup chopped shallots or onion; cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are lightly browned, 9 to 12 minutes.

2. Reduce heat to medium and add 2 more tablespoons butter and 2 cups dried orzo pasta; stir often until pasta is light golden, about 2 minutes.

3. Add 3 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup dry sherry. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until pasta is tender to bite and most of the liquid is absorbed, 9 to 11 minutes. If mixture becomes too thick before pasta is done, add a little more broth. You can add a bit of heavy cream at the end just before serving for more creaminess.

4. Stir in 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon risotto into wide bowls and sprinkle with a little chopped parsley and more parmesan cheese to taste.

Yield

Makes 3 or 4 main-dish servings








--MommaWheel

2 comments:

Mrs. Strickland said...

I know ya'll had a great time! There's more to come - put your seatbelts on!!

The Edwards Clan said...

What a fun little trip for your family and Alayna's DCBF. :o)